19 April 2009

Ger-English and Other Foibles
















The above photos were taken at Munich Airport when I was waiting for my flight to London. They're from a pretty . . . tabloid-esque newspaper called TZ (I judge people reading TZ). Apparently the Fahrkartenkontrolle are learning English, and the article had the pronounciation guide. . . . So funny, especially if you know German, and are trying to pronounce your native language like a German would. It's quite hysterical.

Also, another trend: when one goes into an establishment (like San Franscisco Coffee Company, or Starbucks) with English names on the menu, it's really tricky not to get spotted out for one's American accent-pronounciation of these words. I have resorted to eavesdropping on Germans and listening to them order so that I can mimic their pronounciation of these English words.

For example (so diligent am I, I made a list!)

Coca-(Cola) Zero Kolah Zay-roh
Caramel Kah-rah-mel
Medium May-dee-um
Large Lah-ge
Chocolate Schok-let

In 98 days my mother ship comes to beam me up back to my home planet. . .

. . . where stores are open on Sunday.

. . . where debit and credit cards are commonly accepted, because people actually would like to have your money in any way, shape, or form, thanks! (Why would the zoo NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS? Not that this was at all a problem for me, but still! The logic behind that decision baffles me!)
. . . where I understand everybody and everything.
. . . and they understand me! It's beautiful!
. . . where we all have a common cultural background, and I don't feel like an alien with 5 eyes and blue hands after ordering a muffin.

I'm going to go get a Coca-Cola now. School starts tomorrow. I cringe.
Photo: view toward New York, Mexico City, and London from the Olympiaturm. Can you see America from here?



No comments: